Frequently Asked Questions
When is the Annual Shareholders’ Meeting?
Friday, June 7, 2013, starting at 7 a.m. CDT. The meeting traditionally ends around 11 a.m.
Where is the Annual Shareholders’ Meeting?
- In Bud Walton Arena at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark. A map to the arena can be found on the back of your proxy statement.
- Please note that parking is limited. Due to on-campus construction, parking may be more limited at this year’s shareholders’ meeting than in prior years.
What documents do I need to bring to gain admittance to the meeting?
- Proxy statement or proxy card you received in the mail;
- Notice of internet availability you received in the mail;
- E-mail you received with a link to our proxy materials; or
- Other proof of share ownership, such as a valid legal proxy from your bank, broker, or other nominee who holds your shares, a voting instruction form that you received from your bank, broker, or other nominee, or a recent bank, brokerage or other statement demonstrating that you own shares as of April 11, 2013.
What items are not allowed at the Annual Shareholders’ Meeting?
- Cameras, camcorders, videotaping equipment or other recording devices are not allowed inside the meeting.
- Attendees may not bring into the arena large packages or other material that could pose a safety or disruption hazard (e.g., fireworks, noisemakers, horns, confetti, etc.).
- Security precautions will be taken prior to permitting entry to the meeting (including the inspection of all bags, purses, briefcases, etc.).
Will the meeting be webcast?
What is the record date of share ownership for attending the 2013 Annual Shareholders’ Meeting?
April 11, 2013
I have a question for Walmart’s management that I’d like to ask at the meeting. Will I be allowed to ask my question?
Following the annual meeting, there will be an informal 30-minute question and answer session with key subject matter experts located on the mezzanine level of the arena. (Look for applicable signage within the arena identifying the specific location of the Q&A session.)
Do I have to vote my shares at the Annual Meeting?
No. Although you may vote at the meeting by requesting a ballot, there are 3 options for voting prior to the annual meeting:
- VOTE ONLINE: www.proxyvote.com
When you access this website, use your unique control number (listed on your proxy card, voting instruction form, etc.) to obtain your records and transmit your vote.
- Scan the QR code on our proxy card or notice of availability with your mobile device.
- VOTE BY PHONE: 1-800-690-6903 Use any touch-tone telephone to transmit your vote. Have your proxy card in hand when you call and then follow the instructions. Toll charges may apply to calls made from outside the United States.
- VOTE BY MAIL: Complete, sign and date your proxy card and return it in the postage-paid envelope we have provided to you.
(Note: If you hold your shares in the name of a broker, bank, or other nominee, you should receive separate instructions from the holder of your shares regarding how to vote those shares prior to the meeting.)
What is the cutoff date for voting my shares prior to the Annual Meeting?
- Vote via internet or by phone until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 6, 2013.
- If you are an associate participating in the Walmart 401(k) Plan or the Wal-Mart Puerto Rico 401(k) Plan, you must vote shares held through these plans no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 4, 2013.
- If you received a proxy card in the mail and wish to vote by completing and returning the proxy card by mail, your completed proxy card must be received no later than the time the polls close for voting at the meeting.
SEC rules allow shareholders to obtain the names, addresses, and shareholdings in the proxy statement of any shareholder proponent that has a proposal included in the proxy statement (in accordance with the provisions of the “Shareholder Proposals” section on page 69 of the 2013 proxy statement). I am a shareholder. How can I obtain this information?
Proponent information will be provided upon oral or written request to:
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
c/o Gordon Y. Allison, Vice President and General Counsel, Corporate Division
702 Southwest 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0215
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
c/o Melissa Allgood, Investor Relations
702 Southwest 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0215
Who is Walmart's transfer agent?
What is the difference between batch trades and market order trades when selling stock?
- Batch trades: With batch trades, sale requests received prior to 1:00 p.m. CST on a day the stock market is open, are grouped together and sold throughout the day. Sale proceeds on shares included in batch trades are calculated based on the average price of all Walmart shares sold by Computershare in the plan on that day. Batch sale requests received on or after 1:00 p.m. CST are processed the following business day and would receive that days average price.
- Market order trades: Through market order trades, stock will be sold as soon as the request can reasonably be processed at the market price in effect at that time. Typically, orders placed during the market hours of 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., CST, will be submitted promptly. Orders placed during non-market hours will be submitted as soon as the market opens.
Is there a direct stock purchase plan for Walmart stock?
Yes, you can purchase Walmart stock through Computershare. To receive information about Computershare's direct stock purchase plan, which is not sponsored by Walmart, you can contact Computershare globally at 1-800-438-6278 or visit www.computershare.com/walmart.
How do I sell or transfer my stock, change the address on my stock account or replace a lost stock certificate?
As a shareholder, why is it important that I keep my company stock account information (including address) current?
It is important that you keep your account address up to date and vote your proxy. Certain states will consider your account as “abandoned” if you fail to have communication with Walmart (via our transfer agent; Computershare). Abandoned accounts may result in your shares and/or un-cashed dividends being remitted to your state of residence as unclaimed property under the escheatment guidelines of each state. Once remitted to the state, reclaiming your escheated stock and/or un-cashed dividends can be a cumbersome and lengthy process. So, we encourage you to keep your account information current. If you have questions regarding your account, please contact Computershare by calling (800) 438-6278 or visit www.computershare.com/walmart.
I am a current (or former) Walmart associate. How can I check the status of my stock or profit sharing?
Current and former associates with inquiries about share holdings or profit sharing should call 1-888-968-4015 to reach the Walmart Participant Service Center. This is an automated system, though representatives are available weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.
Does Walmart pay dividends?
When are dividends paid?
Does Walmart have a dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP)?
Does Walmart offer direct deposit of dividends?
As a shareholder, why is it important that I cash my dividends checks promptly after receiving them?
Failure to cash dividends may result in your account being considered “abandoned” and your dividends being remitted to your state of residence as unclaimed property under the escheatment guidelines of each state. Once remitted to the state, reclaiming your escheated un-cashed dividends can be a cumbersome and lengthy process. So, we encourage you to cash your dividends promptly after receipt. If you have questions regarding your account, please contact Computershare by calling (800) 438-6278 or visit www.computershare.com/walmart.
When will there be another stock split?
Walmart's Board of Directors determines whether and when there will be a stock split. Any announcement of a stock split would be communicated through a company news release. See our stock split history.
When is Walmart's Annual Shareholders' Meeting?
The Shareholders’ Meeting has historically been held the first Friday in June each year. In 2013, the meeting will be held on June 7 at Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Watch the webcast here.
When was Walmart's initial public offering? What was the price?
In 1970, Walmart offered 300,000 shares of its common stock to the public at a price of $16.50 per share. Walmart shares began trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Aug. 25, 1972 under the symbol WMT.
How is Walmart's stock traded?
Walmart's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol WMT.
How do I invest in Walmart de Mexico (Walmex)?
Walmart de Mexico is a major retailer in Mexico. Its stock has been listed in the Mexican Stock Exchange since 1977, listed under the ticker symbol WALMEX. For information on Wal-Mart de Mexico, please visit www.walmartmexico.com.mx or email Mariana Rodriquez (Investor Relations) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When will I receive the tax forms associated with my Walmart stock?
All tax documents will be issued by Computershare by February 15th of each calendar year. As a reminder, if you signed up to receive your tax documents electronically, you will receive an email notification when your forms become available on or before February 15th. Follow the instructions based on the plan you participate in to access your documents securely through the Computershare Member website at www.computershare.com/walmart.
What is Walmart's fiscal year?
Walmart's fiscal year begins February 1 and ends January 31 each year.
Who are Walmart's independent auditors?
Ernst and Young LLP
When is Walmart's annual report distributed?
Where can I find Walmart's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission?
In which countries does Walmart operate?
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates in all 50 states and internationally, including Puerto Rico. We operate in 27 countries including, but not limited to, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Is Walmart considering expansion into any other countries?
While we would not rule out operations in additional countries, we have not announced entry into any additional countries at this time.
What is Walmart's mission statement?
We save people money so they can live better.
Where is Walmart's corporate headquarters?
The Walmart Home Office is located at 702 SW 8th Street in Bentonville, Arkansas, USA, and resides in the Central Time Zone.
How can I contact Walmart about a particular U.S. store?
Questions or comments about a Walmart store can be directed to customer service at 1-800-WALMART (925-6278).
When and where was Walmart incorporated?
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. was incorporated in Delaware on Oct. 31, 1969.
How many associates does Walmart employ?
At the end of fiscal year 2013, Walmart and its subsidiaries employed approximately 2.2 million associates worldwide, with approximately 1.3 million associates in the United States.
How many stores does Walmart have?
How many customers shop at Walmart in a week?
Walmart serves more than 245 million customers and members weekly worldwide.